This event will be held on July 3rd, at 5pm in Chesapeake City Park in Chesapeake.
The U.S. Army TRADOC Command Band from Fort Monroe providing patriotic sounds for the event. Pyrotechnico will be responsible for fireworks for the night. For children there will be face painting, a 3 year and under play area, inflatables, lawn games, and more. Chesapeake Arts Alive and Fine Arts Commission wiwll be hosting an auction and raffle offering scholarships, gift baskets, unique items and more. Food trucks will be all around for concessions and it is recomendded you bring your own blanket or chair.
The Schedule of events are the following:
Event Parking Open – 5:00 pm
* Family Entertainment/Children’s Activities/Concessions – 5:00 pm
* Astro DJ Dance Party/Local Entertainment/Interactive Demos – 5:00 pm
* Presenting of the Colors – National Anthem – 7:50 pm
* TRADOC Concert – 8:00 pm
* Followed by Fireworks at approximately – 9:15 pm
This event will be taking place Saturday July 2nd at 10pm at the Push Comedy Theater (763 Granby St) in Norfolk. It is said to be the ultimate sketch comedy showdown. Sketchmageddon consists of 3 teams going against one another to be victorious. The teams will have 15 minutes to deliver the funniest comedy sketch to. Members on teams can rehearse, add props, wear costumes, and even introduce special effects. The theater is limited to 99 seats, so it’s recommended that attendants get their tickets early. If you’re looking for something to kick off your weekend, this just may be it!
The Stars and Stripes Explosions will be Monday July 4th from 8:00pm to 9:30pm on 20th street down on the beach in Virginia Beach.
There will be live musical performances and gorgeous fireworks right above the ocean. The four stages where there will be live music playing are “Dairy Queen Grill & Chill 17th Street Park, on the Beach at 20th Street, 24th Street Park, and 31st Street Park!”
Food Dish Picture found on ihdimage.com
Yummy ! Check out more dishes on CookLight.com that won’t break your pockets.
Great news for everyone!
Believe it or not, Ikea has decided to do business in Hampton Roads!
This is a huge announcement for the area and only makes Hampton Roads that much more prestigious. This announcement was made at the Slover Library in downtown Norfolk this morning. Ikea Spokesman Joseph Roth claimed “The location is perfect for us.” He said the company looks for highly visible locations near major highways in areas with at least 2 million people.
This is tremendous for everyone living in Hampton Roads, because soon everyone will be able to purchase premium furniture (and eat at a nice restaurant inside of IKEA). Ikea said construction can begin in Spring 2017, which is not that far away! It “will occupy 19 acres of a 24-acre wooded plot owned by the city just west of Interstate 64 and north of Northampton Boulevard.” We could be looking at the 2nd Ikea in Virginia by mid 2018.
For more information on the full story, click here.
The total time to make sushi at home will be 50 minutes. There will be roughly 20 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cook time. This meal will serve 3 people.
HOW TO MAKE SUSHI WITHOUT A MAT
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free
- For the Rice
- 1 cup white rice (sushi rice if you can get it)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Everything Else
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 cup chopped veggies – (carrot, cucumber, red pepper, avocado)
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger, wasabi for serving
- Start by preparing your rice. Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer until your water runs clear. Then add to a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once it boils reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is completely absorbed – about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done, kill the heat and add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or fork as to not overmix. It will appear wet but will dry up as you lightly stir to release heat. It should be sticky and completely dry once it’s ready.
- In the meantime, prep your veggies by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well.
- Now it’s time to roll: grab a thick towel and fold it over into a rectangle and place it on a flat surface. Top with plastic wrap, then with a sheet of nori. Using your hands dipped in water (to avoid sticking), pat a very thin layer of rice all over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick or your roll will be all rice and no filling.
- Then, arrange a serving of your veggies or preferred filling in a line at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you (see photo).
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies are covered, roll over the plastic wrap and towel, using it to mold and compress the roll (see photo). Continue until it’s all the way rolled up.
- Slice with a sharp knife and set aside.
- To make the inside out roll, follow this awesome tutorial. See photos for how to apply a layer of avocado on the outside.
- Serve immediately with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.
Serving size: 1 roll Calories: 296 Fat: .5g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 62g Sugar: 10gSodium: 443mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 6g
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism is hosting “Movies & More” Series at Chesapeake City Park 6/18. The movie begins at 8pm, but you can show up after 6pm and dance to family friendly music. There will be an information tent set up where you can sign up to win prizes. Some more events include:
Large Inflatables for kids to bounce on in the “Waddler and Toddler” area
Kids Craft Tent
All activities are free. Concessions will be available for purchase and Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism asks if you bring your own blankets and lawn chairs. If you’re in Chesapeake tomorrow, go check it out! Your kids will love it!