The total time to make sushi at home will be 50 minutes. There will be roughly 20 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes of cook time. This meal will serve 3 people.
HOW TO MAKE SUSHI WITHOUT A MAT
An easy, no-fuss way to make sushi at home without a mat.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free
- For the Rice
- 1 cup white rice (sushi rice if you can get it)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Everything Else
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 cup chopped veggies – (carrot, cucumber, red pepper, avocado)
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger, wasabi for serving
- Start by preparing your rice. Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer until your water runs clear. Then add to a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once it boils reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is completely absorbed – about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done, kill the heat and add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or fork as to not overmix. It will appear wet but will dry up as you lightly stir to release heat. It should be sticky and completely dry once it’s ready.
- In the meantime, prep your veggies by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well.
- Now it’s time to roll: grab a thick towel and fold it over into a rectangle and place it on a flat surface. Top with plastic wrap, then with a sheet of nori. Using your hands dipped in water (to avoid sticking), pat a very thin layer of rice all over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick or your roll will be all rice and no filling.
- Then, arrange a serving of your veggies or preferred filling in a line at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you (see photo).
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies are covered, roll over the plastic wrap and towel, using it to mold and compress the roll (see photo). Continue until it’s all the way rolled up.
- Slice with a sharp knife and set aside.
- To make the inside out roll, follow this awesome tutorial. See photos for how to apply a layer of avocado on the outside.
- Serve immediately with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.
Serving size: 1 roll Calories: 296 Fat: .5g Saturated fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 62g Sugar: 10gSodium: 443mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 6g
This Recipe was pulled directly from http://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-sushi-without-a-mat/